Pages

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Wrapping Up Father's Day

Happy Father's Day!  We had a terrific day celebrating all things 'Daddy'!  We had Daddy's favorite tacos for breakfast and watched golf/baseball all day long!  I'm very blessed to have a hubby that is a great partner for me and great father for our son!

When the boys were either napping or watching golf, I decided to sneak into the craft room for a quick project.   I have been thinking about making a towel wrap-around to wear when I get out of the shower.  I dug out one of my larger (and OLD) bath towels.   I found a maroon one that looked like it has seen better days!
Towel wrap
Here's what you need for this project:
A Towel  (wide enough to wrap around you & long enough to cover your backside)
3/4" Elastic
3" of Velcro
Scrap Fabric that is at least the length of the towel.
Sewing Machine & Normal Sewing Supplies


Instructions:
Wrap the towel around you until it overlaps.  Decide how much you like for it to overlap and trim the rest off.  (I used pinking sheers to prevent raveling.) Take care not to cut off too much so that you have appropriate coverage below the waist.  Lay the towel flat and fold over a 2" hem on the top edge.  Do a quick straight-stitch and now have a casing for your elastic!

Measure your Elastic Band around your chest until it overlaps about 1.5"-2".  Shimmy the elastic band through the casing of your towel. Sew the casing shut at both ends, securing the elastic.
towel wrap2The scrap fabric is to cover the raw edge of the towel.  Simply fold over 1/4" seams in the fabric and press with a iron. Then fold the fabric in half length-wise around the raw edge of the towel.   Sew a straight-stitch down the edge as neatly as possible.  **Special Note:  My sewing machine does not like to sew on thick fabrics like this.  It will tug and pull on the fabric and cause it to stretch.  That is why my edging has wrinkles."

Affix the velcro tape to the overlapping top edge, and you are done!

Cute ways to embellish this wrap would be to:
Add some trim to the bottom of the towel.
Add your initial in matching fabric
Add shoulder straps using the scrap fabric or the trimming from the towel.

I can't wait to use my new wrap!  God's Blessings to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment